When you are calm, you feel better, do better, and you are nicer to be around. You also burn fat faster…
Yes, or yes?
If you are always tired, feel stuck, and disappointed, it is possible that what you need to do first, is find a way to manage stress and relax…
When you are constantly on the go, unable to stop and smell the roses, your body starts secreting stress hormones that might also cause weigh-gain.
I want to teach you some science-based hacks that will help you feel better and reduce stress right away!
Want to give it a shot?
1. Spend twice the time eating your meals today. Yes, twice the time!
If you skip lunch or grab a salad or a sandwich on the go, stop, sit down, chew your food slowly, appreciate the flavors, the texture, put your phone away and just BE for 10 minutes!
2. Spend some time outdoors. If you can, eat your lunch outside in the sun, do it. If you can take a 10 minute break to stretch, take it outside. If you can walk outside, do it. Enjoy the beauty of nature, enjoy the birds chirping.
A recent huge reputable research that was done in the UK at King's College London over four-years, collected data of 20,000
assessments from global participants. In this study that is called “Feeling Chirpy” they found that one second of listening to birds chirping can reduce stress levels significantly for 8 hours!!!
3. Smile for no reason! (But if you can find something to smile about-do it!)
Research has suggested that even fake smiles can have a positive impact on mood and stress levels. One such study was conducted by Sarah Pressman and her colleagues at the University of Kansas, and it was published in the journal Psychological Science in 2012.
The study showed that there was no significant difference in the results of the participants who smiled as a response to a positive trigger and the participants who held a pen between their teeth to form a fake smile! Both groups had lower heart rates and reported lower stress levels during the stressful task they were given than the control group.
4. When you are on your way to a meeting or an appointment, leave 10 minutes earlier. Park a little further away from your destination and walk. Give yourself a few minutes to disconnect. To breathe. To just BE! Whey you feel rushed and chase your tail all day, you miss out on life’s beauty.
5. When you have dinner with your family, sit down and eat with everyone. Don’t spend the time taking care of other stuff. Be present. Listen to their conversations. Ask questions and be involved. In order to do that, try to prep dinner a little early or meal prep for the week in advance, so you can truly be involved. Spending time with loved-ones even for 15 minutes will elevate your mood.
We all live a stressful life, wearing multiple hats every day. Which of these hacks are you going to try out first?